WITH FRAN HAUSER
Celebrating female authors who inspire women to be their best selves with championing belonging, generosity, and strength.
Each month, Fran picks a favorite must read. From the here-and-now to worlds far away, we will experience connection, beauty and life through the eyes of real women. We invite you to make a cup of tea and gift yourself a moment to join us on this journey!
RECALCULATING: NAVIGATE YOUR CAREER THROUGH THE CHANGING WORLD OF WORK
Lindsey Pollak is a NYT bestselling author and an expert in navigating today’s ever-changing, multigenerational workplace. In her new book, Recalculating: Navigate Your Career Through the Changing World of Work, she shares with us specific mindset shifts and actions that can help you through a successful career transition. With 3 million women being forced out of the workforce, this book could not have come at a better time. I love the fundamental premise: when you embrace the art of recalculating, you accept the knowledge that your career path will not be a clear, straight line forward.
What sticks with me:
- Adopt a growth mindset through a tiny little three-letter word that is incredibly powerful. The word is: yet. Whenever you find yourself in a fixed mindset – “I just don’t have the experience start-ups want” just add the word “yet” at the end of the sentence, and it will open up a whole new world of possibilities. “I just don’t have the experience start-ups want… yet”
- Schedule time in your day for career-related activities (whether it’s doing research on companies or pursuing further education).
- When you’re feeling stuck, use small actions to build momentum (example: improve one sentence on your LinkedIn profile)
- Surround yourself with people who have made career changes – they can be a great source of advice and inspiration
- When interviewing don’t be afraid to say, ” I am so excited to be considered for this role” and to explain exactly why. Enthusiasm is especially important for recalculators, because you may not be a “traditional” candidate for a particular role.
Follow @fransbookshelf for book recommendations, giveaways and reading inspiration.
A bestselling New York Times author, Lindsey was name to the 2020 Thinkers50 radar List, honoring the top global management thinkers whose work is shaping the future of how organizations are led. Her previous book, The Remix: How to Lead and Succeed in the Multigenerational Workplace (HarperCollins, 2019) was named a Book of the Month by both the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times.
Lindsey’s speaking audiences and consulting clients have included more than 250 corporations, law firms, conferences and universities, including Aetna, Citi, Estée Lauder Companies, GE, Goldman Sachs, Google, Pfizer, Verizon, Yale, Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. Her advice and opinions have appeared in such media outlets as The TODAY Show, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN and NPR.
Fran Hauser is a bestselling author, startup investor and champion of women. For more of her book recommendations, follow her @fransbookshelf on Instagram.